Research Analyst, League for Human Rights (Toronto and the GTA)
As the Research Coordinator for the League for Human Rights (LHR), reporting to the National Director, you will be responsible for researching LHR-related material, synthesizing data into digestible briefs, monitoring antisemitism, providing advocacy recommendations, and liaising with law enforcement, different levels of government, campus organizations and administrative bodies, community agencies, media, and other organizations and stakeholders to achieve priority goals associated with the LHR’s mandate.
- Provide research and advocacy support for the LHR’s 24/7 Anti-Hate Hotline, Annual Audit of Antisemitic Incidents, and advocacy initiatives.
- Conduct thorough research on various LHR-related matters, particularly issues pertaining to antisemitism in Canada, and other issues as they arise.
- Work as on-the-ground support for advocacy initiatives, ensuring proper implementation in your region.
- Respond to antisemitic incidents in Toronto and the GTA by accurately recording the incident using national template and intake form and following up with clients.
- Create new initiatives, community events, and programming designed to build awareness of B’nai Brith and the League for Human Rights in Toronto and the GTA.
- Ensure implementation of national initiatives.
- Develop regional League for Human Rights committees in Toronto and the GTA.
- Cultivate relationships and networks with community and campus groups, law enforcement agencies, and other human rights organizations, building awareness of LHR operations.
To succeed in this role, you will
- Utilize established personal connections within the Jewish community, academic, public and private sectors to network and grow awareness of the LHR in Toronto and the GTA.
- Have a strong knowledge of human rights in Canada and around the world, with a particular focus on antisemitism.
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with a variety of groups and in diverse circumstances.
- Possess excellent research, analytical, and writing skills.
- Possess excellent time management skills, be self-motivated and entrepreneurial.
- Have excellent knowledge of relevant Canadian public policy issues and legislation related to human rights and antisemitism.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
- Demonstrate ability to work with little oversight or supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced and changing environment.
Education & Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in relevant area of study.
- 2-5 years experience in policy research, advocacy, and/or community outreach
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in French is a strong asset.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime and some weekends as required (excluding all statutory and Jewish High Holidays).
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Reporting to Chief Media Relations and Communications Officer and Manager of Media Relations and Communication
- Sourcing and identification of potential stories for publication through Communications Department
- Following up with community partners and leads to develop story ideas
- Utilizing contacts and sources to further investigate information and story ideas
- Writing content for Communications Department publications, including: press releases, media advisories, blog posts, social media posts, Op-Eds
- Working closely with the advocacy department to research information for communications pieces, as applicable
- Participating in departmental planning meetings
- Researching advocacy action and communication items, as assigned
- Updating and assisting in management of social media platforms (facebook, twitter, instagram) in English and perhaps French if candidate is bilingual
- Assisting in development of new engagement strategies to help grow online presence, with follow up recommendations to leadership
- Assisting in creation of online and email communications, as well as promotional materials
- Other duties, as assigned