In Conversation with Erica Whitford Crown Counsel (Hate Crime Prosecution Unit) with the Ministry of the Attorney General of Ontario: How the Attorney-General Chooses Which Hate Crime Cases to Prosecute and Why
Antisemitism has been spreading throughout Canada in recent years, with a disturbing rise in hate-motivated harassment, vandalism and assault. According to Statistics Canada, Jewish Canadians are the most targeted religious minority in this country. Join us for an inside look at how the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General is using domestic criminal laws to prosecute hate crimes in Canada. Join us for an inside look at how the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General is using domestic criminal laws to prosecute hate crimes in Canada and for insights on:
- Responding to increasing hate crimes: learning more about the Hate Crimes Working Group
- Examining how prosecutions are determined: process, criteria and preparation
- Proving elements of “willful promotion of hate”
- Case Study: R. v. Sears and St. Germaine
- Is proving the Holocaust still necessary? And other critical case law trends
For more information about this event, contact us at:
[email protected] | 416.633.6224 ext. 104
REGISTER FOR THIS FREE EVENT
Details for accessing the event will be sent closer to the date.
This event is free for all members of the public.
Encourage your Jewish legal colleagues to Join the Matas Law Society.