Oct. 12, 2021
OTTAWA — The Government of Canada has heard B’nai Brith Canada.
We welcome today’s announcement that the Canadian delegation to this week’s Malmo International Forum on Holocaust Remembrance and Combating Antisemitism will be composed of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, as well as respected Canadian dignitaries Stephane Dion and Irwin Cotler. Mr. Dion serves as Special Envoy to the European Union. Mr. Cotler is the Special Envoy for the Preservation of Holocaust Remembrance and Combatting Antisemitism.
“Canada’s participation at Malmo headed by our Prime Minister sends a strong signal that there is no place for antisemitism in our country,” said Michael Mostyn, Chief Executive Officer of B’nai Brith Canada. “We are delighted that the recommendations that B’nai Brith made last week, including the need for a high-level delegation to show Canada’s credibility in the fight against hate and Holocaust denial, has been accepted by the Government.”
“I am very pleased that the Government has taken our advice,” said Marvin Rotrand, National Director of B’nai Brith’s League for Human Rights. “The Prime Minister’s personal attendance at the Malmo Forum, combined with astute and knowledgeable dignitaries such as Mr. Dion and Mr. Cotler, demonstrates the Government’s resolve to fight antisemitism.”
B’nai Brith eagerly awaits the Government releasing a country pledge before the Forum. A pledge gives the Government of Canada a vital opportunity to demonstrate precise policies and actions it will take to advance the righteous crusade against hate. B’nai Brith expects this pledge to become public Wednesday.