Job Description: Grant Writer
The Grant Writer is responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to foundations, governments, and other grant-making organizations, and will persuasively communicate mission and programs to potential funders. Reporting to the COO and the CEO, the Grant Writer will assemble and submit grant requests, establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with foundation contacts, conduct prospect research, submit timely and accurate reports for all existing grant funded projects, and maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines. The Grant Writer is also responsible for researching BBC related material/activities, synthesizing data into digestible briefs, monitoring and providing recommendations with respect to how to grow BBC’s related activity areas, and liaising with different levels of government, campus organizations and administrative bodies, community agencies, and other organizations to achieve priority goals associated with BBC’s mandate.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources, persuasively communicating the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders.
- Perform prospect research on foundations, governments, and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Work with the finance department to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/government/corporate donors.
- Ensure prompt acknowledgement of foundation gifts.
- Maintain calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports.
- Prioritize projects to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required for proposals
- Provide writing support for major funders and individual contribution letters and acknowledgements
- Understand institutional history and programs.
- In consultation with the Executive Assistant, make appointments for the CEO with foundation officers and other prospects.
- Maintain records, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide written materials necessary for donor stewardship.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Knowledge and Skills:
- Post-Secondary Degree or relevant Grant Writing and Research experience; CFRE credential would be an asset
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Excellent analytical, and research skills are essential
- Candidates must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly-organized
- Experience using online Grant support databases and other sources to locate biographical, financial, and philanthropic information
- A high level of computer literacy required
- Candidates must possess an ability to work well under pressure
- A solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals and grants.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Strong contributor in team environments