About the Awards
The Human Rights Media Awards is designed to honour the best in human rights reporting in Canada every year, and by doing so, to bring the most important human rights stories to the attention of Canadians.
Eligibility period: August 2015 – August 2016
Nominations Open: July 11, 2016
Deadline for Nominations: September 15, 2016
Winners will be notified by October 30, 2016
Any outstanding piece of Canadian* journalism, dealing with the basic rights and freedoms to which all humans are entitled, including the rights to life, liberty, and equality, is eligible for nomination. Additionally, a story or series exposing an individual or a group that is violating human rights would also be eligible.
Writers, editors, and producers may self-nominate, and members of the public are encouraged to nominate those responsible for work that they feel to be exceptional.
Submissions must draw on traditional journalistic techniques of interview, observation, and documentation. Opinion pieces are only eligible for entry into the ‘blog’ category. Work must have been published, broadcast, or posted from August 2015 - August 2016. The eligible formats are:
- Video and radio submissions
- Written submissions (excerpts are acceptable)
- A series that covers a particular issue over time
To qualify for consideration, all content must meet one of the following criteria:
- The story/piece under consideration must be written by a Canadian author, OR;
- The story/piece must appear in a Canadian publication, OR;
- The story/piece must be about a Canadian topic or event
Preference will be given to stories which meet more than one of the above criteria.
Nominations will be accepted for outstanding journalism in the following categories:
- Newspaper (online & print) - any publication which is dedicated to hard news reporting, in either a daily, weekly or monthly format. It must follow traditional journalistic techniques of interview, observation and documentation.
- National publication (online or print): a newspaper with national audience/circulation
- Community publication (online or print): a newspaper with a focus of a small community circulation, often aimed at community issues
- Jewish community publication (online or print): a newspaper with Canada’s Jewish community as its primary audience
- Television & Radio: a segment on a news program or current affairs program
- Online/Blog: nominees for this category may be amateur writers, not necessarily affiliated with any professional publication. Personal blogs, columns, and opinion pieces are welcome
- Magazine/Periodical: an article appearing in a magazine or periodical
- French Language Media: honouring exceptional French language reporting in any medium
- Anti-Hate Story of the Year: awarding exceptional efforts, via reporting in any medium, to combat racism, hate or discrimination
- Human Rights Reporter of the Year: awarding an individual for excellence in human rights reporting in any medium
Complete online nomination form. When nominating, please provide link to a story under consideration. For print pieces with no online presence, please scan and send as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Nomination for Human Rights Media Awards’ in the subject line, after completing online nomination form. Please indicate on online nomination form that an emailed copy of the article will be sent.
Pieces will be evaluated on how closely they adhere to the following criteria:
- Canadian content/connection: pieces with more than one criteria in this category will be given preference
- If the piece is timely, and deals with an issue of importance to B’nai Brith’s mandate: preference will be given to pieces which examine a topic of particular interest to B’nai Brith. For further direction regarding B’nai Brith’s advocacy agenda, visit our website bnaibrith.ca
Makes a unique contribution to the landscape of Canadian human rights reporting: The piece examines a unique issue, a new perspective to a well-known problem or highlights an issue that has not received adequate exposure.Click Here To Submit Nomination